Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility A Group of Men Wearing Turbans Visited the Ahmadiyah Mosque in Bekasi - Setara
Find the Media Publications You Need

A Group of Men Wearing Turbans Visited the Ahmadiyah Mosque in Bekasi

Release DateMay 22, 2014CategoryNews & CoverageShare

BEKASI, — A group of men wearing turbans came to the Ahmadiyya congregation’s mosque, Al-Misbah Mosque, on Jalan Terusan Pangrango, Jatibening, Pondok Gede, Bekasi, West Java, on Sunday (May 11, 2014). They demanded that the mosque’s congregation stop the religious study session that was taking place there.

“We were holding our regular religious study session. Suddenly, people wearing turbans and shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ came to our mosque. They demanded that we stop our activities that afternoon,” said Deden Surjana, a mosque administrator at Masjid Al-Misbah, to Kompas.com on Sunday (May 11, 2014).

According to Deden, more than 30 people came to the mosque. The Ahmadiyya congregation, which was holding a religious study session at the mosque, was unable to leave. Deden described the incident as a siege. Shortly after the incident began, police and local residents arrived to mediate.

The group of men wearing turbans continued to demand that the Ahmadiyya congregation stop their activities. The congregation refused. “This isn’t just an activity; we are carrying out God’s command,” said Deden.

As of now, the identities of the group of men wearing turbans have not been confirmed. Deden Surjana had previously written on his Twitter account @dedensurjana that the group that approached them was the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI). However, when contacted by Kompas.com, Deden corrected himself and said that he did not know which mass organization the group of men belonged to.

Murhali Barda, chairman of the Bekasi Raya branch of the FPI, claimed he was unaware of the siege. He said he did not send any supporters to besiege the Al-Misbah Mosque this afternoon. Currently, the group of men wearing turbans who had gathered at the Al-Misbah Mosque has dispersed. Activities at the Al-Misbah Mosque have resumed.

Previously, Al-Misbah Mosque had been the subject of controversy over licensing issues. The mosque was once sealed off by the Bekasi City Government.

Author : Jessi Carina
Editor : Hindra Liauw

Related Media

Explore Media

View more

Police Investigators and Detectives Should Be Judicial Police Officers

News & Coverage
December 16, 2025
Security Sector Reform

President Prabowo Subianto has responded to public proposals regarding the police. These proposals emerged during...

View Detail

Freedom of Religions and Beliefs Conditions 2024

News & Coverage
June 1, 2025
Freedom of Religion/Belief

In 2024, SETARA Institute released an annual report on the situation of Freedom of Religions...

View Detail

Has the State Been Fair to Women?

News & Coverage
March 4, 2025
Law and the Constitution

Deeply rooted patriarchal norms continue to pose a major obstacle to accelerating gender equality. In...

View Detail